Thursday, August 4, 2011

Day 7

Aiden is stable at this time. His cranial ultrasound came back stable which means the bleed hasn't gotten any bigger. Aiden has a new nurse today and I have asked her to become on of our primaries. I love her! We now have one day primary and one night primary and are actively searching for more. It is good to find a nurse that works well with your baby as well as Greg and I. They get to know your baby and what his likes dislikes are. Greg and I feel most comfortable with Rachel during the day and Becky at night but need to look for one more day and one more night nurse to feel comfortable leaving his bedside. We have run into one nurse who we have already reported and hope to not run into this again. The staff at U of M are amazing! Ana one of the pediatric surgeons is truly amazing and was at Aiden's bedside for hours upon hours. I have met so many wonderful nurses and ECMO staff and feel blessed to have made the decision to come to University of Michigan.
Today has been so exciting. Greg and I were able to become more involved with Aiden. Aiden is moved every four hours to a new position. I was able to touch his back and be a part of the move. I know this doesn't sound like much but any kind of touch is truly amazing. We were encouraged to kiss his head and wipe his lips with sterile water as well. I cradle his head when I can and hold his hand as well. Sometimes he grips my hand but even to just touch him is wonderful. He is very sensitive to touch and we have to be careful not to overstimulate him. We took tons of pictures and videos today. Will post these soon. He has a bow around his neck like he is a present and holds his elephant lovie when he can. He looks like the spitting image of Cole.
Continue to keep prayers coming because Aiden is in desperate need.

Thanks:)

1 comment:

Katie said...

I can only imagine how hard this is for you right now. Lucas was in the NICU for just 5 hours after he was born and that even was heartbreaking. I wish I could do something tangible to help, but know I pray for you daily.