Sunday, July 31, 2011

Sunday July 31st

Aiden had surgery today and all went well. Greg and I were able to sit with him this morning before surgery. The NICU nurse said he had a "great night". We were so pleased! The doctor sat down with us after surgery and was happy with the outcome. He stated that he was very stable during the surgery and that because of this they would like to slowly start weaning him off of ECMO and see how he handles it. I was surprised that he suggested it so soon and we know that things change every hour with CDH babies. We will continue to stay positive and hope that the weaning is started sometime this coming weekend.
Greg had to leave this morning in order to complete projects and study for his final exams on Thursday of this coming week. He will take his last tests in his last two classes on Thursday. It was very hard for him to leave today and he was very emotional as any parent would be. He has been such a rock for me and I too did not want him to leave. I am counting down the days for him to return. My mom came to U of M today along with my sister. Lindsay got to meet Aiden for the first time today and she was very helpful. I have not really walked around much due to my pain and they pushed me a little bit and I was able to make it from my room to the NICU today. Wow! I was exhausted by the time I made it to see Aiden.
During our visit, I found that the nurses put his elephant lovie in his hands. He is holding it! I love it! I was also able to give him mouth care. I put my breast milk on a long q-tip and put it over his lips and on the inside of his lips. He seemed to like it. It was another thing that I can start to do for him and feel like I am actually taking care of him. I will post pictures soon. My mom and sister are now grocery shopping for me to take items to the Ronald McDonald House. My sister will visit one more time with Aiden and then she is leaving. Thanks Lindsay for coming and taking such wonderful pictures and videos. She bought me the most beautiful necklace that contains little baby feet, Aiden's birthstone and Cole's birthstone. Absolutely wonderful. I may post later after my night visit but if not will post tomorrow. Thanks again for all your support and prayers. Please keep them coming!

5 comments:

Jessica said...

I am amazed by all of the positive news! Aiden is definitely being watched over by God. Keep these positive updates coming!

Miranda said...

Glad to hear he's doing well! I hope he is able to come off ECMO, that will be so exciting for you! The nurses really are amazing there, and hopefully soon you'll start getting some primaries. Throughout this, I've been very thankful for our primaries who always make me feel better (and Ana, she is AMAZING)It was so nice to meet you a few days ago, hopefully we can get a chance to chat again soon, Grace is giving everyone trouble again though, of course! Please let me know if I can help in any way, since we drive each day I can always easily grab something you might need. I hope you start feeling better soon, it sounds like you are allowing yourself to heal though, which is great. I'll continue to think of you guys and pray for Aiden!

Raggedy Baby said...

Leslie-Congrats on your beautiful baby boy! I am so sorry he has had such a rough start! I will be praying for him and for you--it's so tough not being able to hold your baby!! I remember that feeling of helplessness when Cannon was in the NICU with Persistent pulmonary hypertension. Thanks for keeping everyone updated through all of this!!

Heidi Tone said...

Leslie, know that we are keeping you all in our prayers! So glad that Aiden seems to be doing so well and that he already went through surgery! I read your blogs and can feel and understand all that you are going through. When we were going through this, our older son was able to be with us. I can't imagine how you are feeling not having him around. I will definetly keep your relationship with Cole in my prayers. I know you want to focus on that as well as obviously focusing your time and attention on Aiden. God will take care of both of your sons even when you feel you are not able to. It's times like these when we realize how blessed we are to having helping family and friends! We look forward to hearing more postive upadates with Aiden. Lord Bless you and your family!

Cheri said...

Leslie and Greg, Congratulations on Aiden's birth! Jason, the kids and I are praying for you all. I'm not sure if you're continuing to update this blog, but I'll keep checking in hopes that you'll have more positive news in the days to come. Thank you for writing it so we can follow your progress. We love you and we'll be praying that Aiden will be strong enough for you to hold very soon.